Wednesday, March 28, 2007

Rome

Came back from Rome.

We took a Ryanair flight from Eindhoven, because we didn't have any check-in luggage we had priority boarding. Priority boarding means that you are in the first to get in the airplane, so you can choose the seat you really want to. I was able to select have a view from the window, and it was a really nice clear day so I was able to see far.






Our youth hostel was amazing. We had our own room for 5, 2 guys had to sleep together but what's so ever, and the place was a big appartment near San Giovanni plazza, so easy access to subway and bus for downtown and anywhere we wanted to go to see the ruins.





For our first dinner, we choose a small restaurant not far from the colise, they were soo gentle, the food was amazing and cheap, we also got a litter of wine for 3.50 euros (ok it was not the best wine I ever drank but doesn't matter). It was that good that we even went back another night.








I really loved the forum ruins but I think the best place was the Palatino Hills, it was worth the price. Btw : if you ever go, go first to the Palatino Hills and get yourself a pass for 20 euros, you can get mostly everywhere after for free instead of paying 11euros everywhere (cheaper). The colise was nice too, but once you see a part of it, it,s mostly all the same thing. The fact that this building is still in good shape after all that time is amazing, and the way the built it is crazy.


We also went to Pompei one day. For my trip in Italia, that's probably the thing I loved the most, having some background in Roman history made me love it even more. You can really feel like if you are walking in the street like it was at that time. Unfortunatly, I don't have any pictures of this, I forgot my camera in the lock and I was not able to go back to get it, or else I would have missed my train. (But I still have pictures from all the other guys I was with)


While going to Pompei, we missed our train stop in Naples, it was unclear that we had to get out there, our wagon was the last one and went we were stop it didn't look like a station at all from where we were. So we went all the way up to Salermo, so a great city but we didn't spent more than half an hour near the sea. I would have love to stay more there.







On my last night in Rome, I went to take some pictures of the Colisé and other monument during the night. I was hoping to have nice picture and photoshop them with different perspective, but didn't come out like I expected. The say that Italia is the home town for Ferrari, well I didn't see any before that last day. I saw that F460 in a small street and I took some pictures of it. It was really nice. After that, I went to take a cold beer in a restaurant just across the colise, expensive but worth it.
I have an album with more pictures on Picasa, where I will try to upload some Pompei pictures if I can. Otherwise, you will see them when I come back.

No comments: